Sunday, May 22, 2011

Chapter 5 and 6 Reflection

Chapters 5 and 6
I can directly relate to the quote in the text that says technology can “engage, motivate, and extend the way we think, act, and feel” (Roblyer, Doering p. 140).When I use technology in any way in my classroom my students seem much more interested in the material. I have found worksheet generators and puzzle generators very effective as well! If more teachers used statistical analysis in the classroom their teaching would be more effective. I have found when I administer a pre and post test my teaching is laid out in front of me very clearly. I have seen student response systems in use in the classroom, while watching that I was able to see students that would of otherwise been inattentive actually enjoying their learning experience. I would love to incorporate virtual writing outlines into my teaching. I have found that writing is very challenging to teach and would love to be equipped with other techniques. I think readability analysis tool would be helpful in identifying books in my own personal library so that I knew my kids were reading books appropriate for their own reading levels. I have used interactive books in my classroom such as tumblebooks and the kids seem to really enjoy them. It teaches good skills: guiding and reading text left to right. I really like the idea of having student’s virtual work displayed as well as their written work. Students are more motivated to perform when they know their work is valued! I also think self assessment is something students and teachers both need to improve on. If we are able to assess ourselves it makes the assessment from others easier to take. I would love to teach kids how to use PowerPoint to create book reports, its where our world is going why not allow the students to embrace it as well. Having students design games and websites sounds very challenging but also something that I think could be very effective and engaging. I would also love to incorporate virtual reality into my classroom later on down the road. These chapters have wonderful ideas of technology integration. I would love to start small and one day be able to do many of these with my students.
Resource Used
Roblyer, M.D, & Doering, A.H. (2010). Integrating educational technology into teaching. Boston: Pearson Education Inc.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Kylie, great blog! You summarized things so nicely and you make some great connections between the readings and what you are doing. I look forward to more of your blogs!

    ReplyDelete